Sunday 22 March 2009

shop talk

I have a recording my father made of a visit I made on 14 Sept 1996 to my parent's house in Westchester, about an hour north of NYC. My guess is that this visit would have been the first time I had seen them in several months, because I had been traveling all that summer. The full recording is about 90 minutes long: I tell many stories about my travels; he talks extensively about Mozart at one point; but in a way this one bit is perhaps the most interesting exchange: we are talking about HIS composition teacher...

I don't think there's anything on this tape I'm inspired to turn into music. on the other hand, it's psychologically quite amazing to me: the layers to everything are sort of scary. is that totally blatantly obvious, I wonder? I feel as if I can hear all the complexity of the three relationships embedded in the sound of our voices...

anyway, I'm hoping I can find the 60's dinner table tape before too long. god knows what THAT's going to feel like to listen to!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.