Sunday 5 April 2009

comments

I tried to comment on your last two posts, but they disappear into thin air, so I'm going to just write a new post and hope for the best!

regarding the images from the train station, I really like them: I like the washed out color combined with the really clear and clean typography, which makes me feel I ought to be able to read what the signs say, even though I don't know those alphabets...

regarding collections and mistranslation (two posts ago), I'm thinking how an alphabet is itself a collection, of how part of the strangeness of Chinese for anyone not literate in Chinese is the character system, which is not an alphabet in the way Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew, etc. are. what other character systems are there than Chinese? or is everything else currently in use an actual alphabet? how are archaic writing systems different from Chinese, hieroglyphs, etc? I don't know anything at all about this stuff, and I'm curious if you can give me a bit of an overview...

xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.