Friday 9 April 2010

Kurt Weill

This is just an off-the-cuff comment really but, while I was in London over the weekend, I went to one of my favourite CD shops (on the South Bank, near the National Theatre) and bought a recording of Kurt Weill's Die sieben Totsünden. I wasn't really thinking about this when I bought it, but afterwards it struck me that Weill was another exile from Nazi Germany who made his way to the US. I always think that there is a very interesting - not to say strange - sense of place in Weill's songs, partly because of the words but also because of the musical styles that accompany them. (I'm thinking of something like ' Benares Song', which seems almost willfully defiant of 'real' geography.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.