Tuesday 18 May 2010

churches and pagan sites

I enjoyed your post here! With regard to your question about churches built on pagan sites, two examples spring to mind: Knowlton Church in Dorset (which was built inside a neolithic henge) and Rudston Church in Yorkshire (which has a monlith in the graveyard). You can see pictures here and here. (In both cases, you need to scroll down a fair way to see the full range of photos.) Those are just well-known examples - I expect there are lots of others. I'm not 100% sure who to ask...

1 comment:

  1. wow, now those are COOL!!! esp the Knowlton one, wow wow wow...

    I wish I knew if there are ANY such places in the US... and if not, whether that says something real European vs. Native: a sense of such deep-rooted antipathy on the part of the colonizers, wanting to pretend that the land was empty of any meaning (let alone actual people!) prior to European arrival...

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.